Livepeer Protocol Parameter - Change Proposal Form

Thanks for elaborating further, @Blockdaemon

1. Over time, the LPT reward will decrease and it will be more about the ETH reward from actual transcoding being done. So the amount of stake that a transcoder has is mostly a security signal for broadcasters and more important factors will be involved (e.g. price, location, availability, response time…). So I can’t see any (short or long term) performance issues for the network due to the current transcoder limit.
  2. I don’t agree. In the long term, this should be handled by the the protocol by setting the right incentives and punishments - that’s why we have the token…
  3. Currently, the top 5 transcoders have 50% of the staked LPT. I can’t see how this will change by adding 5 or 10 transcoders. I think what Nico mentions is much more important: “Perhaps we should do a better job of making clear that the top transcoder in the list doesn’t necessarily mean the best one to delegate to if you want to get the most rewards as a delegate.”
  4. Has already been answered
  5. & 6. Never said that… And yes, I do run a transcoder (you can find my campaign in the forum). I also built a (free) transcoder watcher bot to increase transparency and help stakers make more informed decisions: Telegram Bot: Transcoder-Watcher

It’s important to know that we’re not talking long term here… I think everyone agrees that the number of transcoders/orchestrators should increase drastically once actual work is being done on the protocol.