Questions concerning staking and unbonding

Hello everybody.

I am new in livepeer and i find very interesting the whole team and their project.

Yesterday after successfully aquired some LPT i did my first bond for staking.

I have bonded 95 LPT and today after 1 round the balance is 95.33.

I wanted to ask in the next round the whole amount 95.33 is staking automatically or only the initial 95 LPTs?

And i more question. I pressed te button unbond today mainly from curiocity and and i got a message that 1 week is required for unbonding. Who determines that 1 week period is the Transcoder and for every transcoder is the same period 1 week?

Thank you for your time…

Greeting V.K

The reward is automatically “restaked” you don’t have to do anything.

1 Like

Thank you J1v for your reply

Regarding your second question, technically, the unbonding period is 7 rounds of the protocol - which are slightly less than 1 day each (20.8 hours to be precise).

This unbonding period was set as 7 days when the network launched, and has not been changed since then.

I believe that such network parameters are still determined by the Core team, and any change to these undergoes consultation on this forum, and on discord. @dob can probably provide more detail.

All is correct so far. For parameter updates we’ve undergone a community participation process, and would like to move to decentralized governance around invocation of param updates when the network moves out of Beta.

And as an aside on the unbonding period parameter update, my recommendation would be that it get significantly longer when the network moves beyond Beta, as was communicated in the original papers and posts around the protocol pre-launch. Ethereum 2.0, Cosmos, and other (D)PoS protocols often have 3 month+ unbonding periods to really create alignment with the network, and prevent attackers from exiting with their stake before the effects of their attack are reflected in the market.

2 Likes

Thank you Dob
one more question.

After the first bonding i decided to make another on bonding with other LPTs in another transcoder.

After i got up a window that my allowance was zero i changed it and i made another bonding with another 100 LPts to another transcoder.

I noticed that my first bonding dissapear and all the LTPs 95 plus the new ones when to the new bonding

Is not possible to have different bondings simultaneously?

Thank you chrishobcroft
one more question.

After the first bonding i decided to make another on bonding with other LPTs in another transcoder.

After i got up a window that my allowance was zero i changed it and i made another bonding with another 100 LPts to another transcoder.

I noticed that my first bonding dissapear and all the LTPs 95 plus the new ones when to the new bonding

Is not possible to have different bondings simultaneously?

And 1 more question

So i n order to receive the fees and the extra lpts i have to stay at least 1 week bonded with the same trancorder right?

Now with this transfer to another trancorder i got the extra lpts but i guess i lost the fees.

There is no obligation to stay bonded to a single transcoder for any specific period of time. You can switch whenever you like. It is only a 7 round waiting period when you want to unbond and withdraw your LPT.

And yes, on a single account you can only be bonded towards a single transcoder. If you’d like to manage multiple bonds you can use multiple accounts to manage that. We’d welcome protocol update proposals to support multiple bonds from one account, however as it is only a UX centric update and may make the smart contracts more complex and expensive to transact with, it doesn’t seem to be an immediate priority.

2 Likes