Telegram Bot: Transcoder-Watcher

As you might have noticed, there have been some issues with the Transcoder Watcher Bot in the last few days:

• No Reward Call notifications for certain transcoders
  • Incorrect warning messages claiming that certain transcoders did not claim the reward yet

The reason for this is a syncing problem with the geth light client: From time to time, the syncing fails and a couple of blocks are skipped. Now if the reward call falls into a skipped block, my bot script won’t handle it (since the filter is set up to only listen for new events and not look at past blocks).

Solution

1. I’ve reset my peer list for the light client and so far, there were no skipped blocks.
  2. If the syncing problem keeps coming back, I’ll rewrite the script in a way that a few skipped blocks won’t matter. E.g. the bot would check every 500 or 1000 blocks in a round if a reward call or reward cut change happened and send notifications.

And as always: If you get a warning message or no reward call message, please always check manually on etherscan if the transcoder didn’t claim the rewards yet.

1 Like