Transcoder Campaign: Chainflow Transcoder

I’ve increased the fee share from 25% to 35%.

Weekly Update - 1 September 2018

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode at #12 in the list of top 20 transcoders.

• Current LPT Stake - 14818.11 LPT

• Last Week’s LPT Stake - 12052.92 LPT

• % change - 23% increase

My gratitude to everyone who has delegated their LPT and trust to me to date!

(You can join us by bonding your LPT here.)

Here’s a summary of last week’s activity -

• This week we called all reward rounds. You can see them here.

• I’m checking daily to make sure we do. I had to call a few rounds manually. The Tributary upgrade may have caused this.

• Restarting the Livepeer command fixed the issue. We’ve started calling rounds automatically since then.

• It feels like competition’s increasing. I increased Fee Share from 25% to 35% to remain competitive. I realize this is a somewhat superficial increase, since we haven’t received fees yet.

Here’s my short-list of near-term to-do’s -

• Figure out why we’re not receiving fees.

• Run Livepeer as a systemd service.

• Continue working my way through this very beneficial Livepeer DevOps post.

• Studying the Supermax stats.

• Thinking about monitoring solutions.

• Keep an eye on transcoding tests the Livepeer team is running.

Catch you next week. If you have any questions in the meantime, add a comment here or catch me in the Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder Telegram channel.

P.S. Want to join us? Please do by bonding your LPT here.

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode but dropped to #15 from #12 in the list of top 20 transcoders.

• Current LPT Stake - 6779.59 LPT

• Last Week’s LPT Stake - 14818.11 LPT

• % change - 23% decrease

My gratitude to everyone’s who’s delegated their LPT and trust to me to date!

It felt like a week of contrasts. On one hand, I worked with Aaron from Bison Trails to get their LPT mining script working. I generated LPT at $0.44 testing the script.

You can use it too. Let me know if you have any trouble with it. Then consider delegating the mined LPT to me or one of the other transcoders.

The idea to run the script a few times. I’ll then stake the mined LPT to the Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder. My intention is to continue demonstrating I’m invested in Livepeer, along with the time and resources required to run the transcoder.

I also worked with Chris Hobcroft from Livepeer to draft a DAO use case for Livepeer transcoders. If you didn’t already know, I’m the full-time product manager at Aragon One. We’re the first core team building the Aragon Project.

The Aragon Project builds tools that empower people build DAO’s. My intention is to run a transcoder using a DAO too. So I’m feeling very excited about Chris moving the idea forward and helping him do it.

But with my head down testing the script and working on the use case, I missed calling two reward rounds. I’m feeling frustrated and disappointed in myself for letting this happen. Then I noticed the Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder stake dropped over 55%.

Ouch and ouch.

I have a tendency to be my own worst critic. Moments like this remind me of that tendency.

I’m not sure why the stake dropped so much. I wasn’t able to track it back through the Supermax stats. Yondon from Livepeer’s helping me do this. Stay tuned for an update.

My priorities this week are to -

• Call all rewards!
  • Figure out where the stake went
  • Setup monitoring

Regarding the latter, I’ve asked the virtual assistant service I use to check reward calls every day for me. This should prevent me from forgetting again, until I automate the monitoring system.

• Implement automated monitoring solutions.
  • Figure out why we’re not receiving fees.
  • Run Livepeer as a systemd service.
  • Continue working my way through this very beneficial Livepeer DevOps post.
  • Study the Supermax stats.
  • Keep an eye on transcoding tests the Livepeer team is running.

Catch you next week. If you have any questions in the meantime, add a comment here or catch me in the Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder Telegram channel.

Weekly Update - 15 September 2018

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode holding at #15 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 7206.25 LPT
  • Last Week’s LPT Stake - 6779.59 LPT
  • % change - 6.3% increase

We called rewards for every round this week.

Last week’s activity summary -

Here’s a summary of last week’s activity

• Assigned a task to my virtual assistant team to check reward calls daily
  • Confirmed rewards called daily

These two tasked confirmed rewards were called daily!

• Partially determined why our stake dropped so much the week earlier

Doug and Yondon sent me the link showing that a single unbound transaction caused an ~11k LPT drop in stake. If this was you, I’d appreciate an opportunity to earn back your trust. Drop me a line here to initiate a 1on1 Telegram chat and let’s talk!

This week’s priorities -

Short-list of near-term to-do’s -

Aaron from Bison Trails developed a transcoder SMS alerting script. I suggested he modify it to use a Telegram bot. Once he does that, I’ll push reward call updates to the Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder Telegram Channel.

Weekly Update - 22 September 2018

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode, climbing to #11 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 30205.08 LPT
  • Last Week’s LPT Stake - 6779.59 LPT
  • % change - 345% increase (wow!)

We called rewards for each and every round we were eligible for this week.

My gratitude to everyone who’s delegated their LPT and trust to me to date!

Last week felt like a week of extremes. We dropped from the the Top 15 early in the week. We fell into inactive state when that happened. Our stake then increased A LOT! We were back in the Top 15 by week’s end.

Phew :slight_smile:

We were also mentioned as a “proactive” transcoder in the most recent Livepeer economics post. My sense is that had something to do with the increased stake.

• Continue calling all rewards!
  • Automate monitoring, ask virtual assistants to continue manually checking too.

Aaron from Bison Trails developed a transcoder SMS alerting script. I suggested he modify it to use a Telegram bot. Once he does that, I’ll push reward call updates to the Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder Telegram Channel.

1 Like

Weekly Update - 29 September 2018

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode at #11 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 31699.48 LPT

• Last Week’s LPT Stake - 30205.08 LPT

• % change - 4.9% increase

• Focused on calling all rewards

I still have my virtual assistant team checking this daily. I then confirm their results.

• Provided feedback on a monitoring tool Aaron from Bison Trails is developing

I’m hoping to implement an automated tool soon! The feedback I provided will hopefully help increase the tool’s value to the transcoder community.

• Confirmed why we’re not receiving fees yet

Fees are collected when a transcoder processes video streams. Video traffic on the Livepeer network is light right now. That’s why we haven’t done any video processing or collected fees yet.

• Developed a supplemental Transcoder list

The list is here. It’s intended to supplement the list on the Livepeer Explorer. For example, it maps Transcoder campaigns to their respective addresses. My hope is that the list will help the LPT holders choose a Transcoder to bond with.

• Automate monitoring, ask virtual assistants to continue manually checking too

• Investigate how best to set our Price Per Segment

• Run Livepeer as a systemd service

• Continue developing a use case to run a Transcoder as an Aragon DAO

• Implement automated monitoring solutions

• Continue working my way through this very beneficial Livepeer DevOps post 1

• Studying the Supermax stats

• Keep an eye on transcoding tests the Livepeer team is running

Weekly Update - 6 October 2018

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode, dropping from #11 to #12 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 32453.88 LPT
  • Last Week’s LPT Stake - 30205.08 LPT
  • % change - 7.4% increase

• Focused on calling all rewards. I still have my virtual assistant team checking this daily. I then confirm their results.
  • Provided feedback to Chris Hobcroft on this Livepeer video
  • Was interviewed by Raffi Sapire for an upcoming Livepeer Transcoder profile blog post
  • Updated the supplemental Livepeer Transcoder List I maintain

• Automate monitoring, ask virtual assistants to continue manually checking too
  • Run Livepeer as a systemd service

• Continue working my way through this very beneficial Livepeer DevOps post
  • Studying the Supermax stats
  • Keep an eye on transcoding tests the Livepeer team is running

Weekly Update - 13 October 2018

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode, dropping from #12 to #13 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 33462.03 LPT, of which 392.62 or 1.17% are self-bonded,

(I self-bonded all LPT I received from running the transcoder.)

• Last Week’s LPT Stake - 32453.88 LPT

• % change - 3.1% increase

We missed one reward round this week. That’s the first we’ve missed in 36 rounds. I plan to continue optimizing and automating our processes to minimize missed rounds.

(You can join us by bonding your LPT here. We welcome everyone. No amount is too small :slight_smile:)

• Focused on calling all rewards

I still have my virtual assistant team checking this daily. I then confirm their results.

• Reported an IPFS-related bug a second time that @ericxtang from Livepeer responded to

• Restarting the transcoder as necessary, when the reward round wasn’t called automatically

• Call all rewards!

• Build a new validator that will support automated monitoring and run Livepeer as a systemd service, using this Livepeer DevOps post as a guide

P.S. Want to join us? Please do by bonding your LPT here. We welcome everyone. No amount is too small :slight_smile:

Weekly Update - 20 October 2018

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode at #12 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 34876.58 LPT, of which 448.82 or 1.29% are self-bonded

• Last Week’s LPT Stake - 33462.03 LPT

• % change - 4.2% increase

• Called all reward rounds

All LPT I earn gets is bonded back to our transcoder. My gratitude to everyone’s who’s delegated their LPT and trust to me to date!

• Called all rewards

• Restarting the transcoder as necessary, when the reward round wasn’t called automatically

• Started building a new and improved transcoder to increase security and reliability

• Updated the supplemental Livepeer Transcoder List

• Calling all rewards!

• Complete the new validator build-out

The new validator will support automated monitoring and running Livepeer as a systemd service, using this Livepeer DevOps post as a guide.

• Migrate to the new validator

The migration will have no impact on existing delegates. The bonding process won’t change, either.

My gratitude to the person that bonded 5000 LPT last night :pray:

Weekly Update - 27 October 2018

Hello from DevConIV in Prague!

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode at #12 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 41056.38 LPT, of which 483.34 or 1.18% are self-bonded

• Last Week’s LPT Stake - 34876.58 LPT

• % change - 17.7% increase

All LPT I earn is bonded back to our transcoder. My gratitude to everyone’s who’s delegated their LPT and trust to me to date!

• Called all rewards

• Started building a new and improved transcoder to increase security and reliability

• Updated the supplemental Livepeer Transcoder List

• Attended the Livepeer Coinfund Rabbithole talk

• Calling all rewards!

• Attend DevConIV, including events @dob is speaking at

• Complete the new validator build-out

The new validator will support automated monitoring and running Livepeer as a systemd service, using this Livepeer DevOps post as a guide.

• Migrate to the new validator

The migration will have no impact on existing delegates. The bonding process won’t change, either.

Weekly Update - 9 November 2018

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode dropping from #12 to #13 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 42665.25 LPT, of which 622.82 or 1.46% are self-bonded

• LPT Stake as of 20 October 2018 - 34876.58 LPT

• % change - 22.3% increase

All LPT I earn is bonded back to our transcoder. My gratitude to everyone’s who’s delegated their LPT and trust to me to date!

• Called all rewards

• Spoke on a Generalized Mining panel, along with Raffi and a few other people

• Calling all rewards!

• Complete the new transcoder build-out

The new transcoder will support automated monitoring and running Livepeer as a systemd service, using this Livepeer DevOps post as a guide.

• Migrate to the new transcoder

• Continue developing a use case to run a Transcoder as an Aragon DAO

• Try and push the Livepeer ENS integration along. This would allow transcoders to have human readable names, replacing complicated ETH addresses. I helped kick-start this at the ENS Hackathon in August.

Not sure about the 3 consecutive reply limit, but will look into it soon. Thanks for the good work in posting these updates!

1 Like

Weekly Update - 22 November 2018

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. This week we stayed in active mode at #13 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 45052.91 LPT, of which 753.59 or 1.67% are self-bonded
  • LPT Stake as of last update on 9 November 2018 - 42665.25 LPT
  • % change - 5.6% increase

All LPT I earn gets bonded back to our transcoder. My gratitude to everyone’s who’s delegated their LPT and trust to me to date!

Here’s what I did since the last update -

• Called all rewards
  • Restarted the transcoder as necessary, when the reward round wasn’t called automatically
  • Took additional steps to secure the Chainflow Transcoder, particularly in light of the Tezos baker hack
  • Participated in the Streamflow release introduction call
  • Started reviewing the Streamflow proposal
  • Spoke with Raffi at Livepeer about how to -
    • Start the project to run a Transcoder as a DAO
    • Complete the ENS integration into Livepeer

• Calling all rewards!
  • Continue the conversation with Raffi about -
    • Developing a use case to run a Transcoder as an Aragon DAO
    • Completing the Livepeer ENS integration. This will allow transcoders to have human readable names, replacing complicated ETH addresses. I helped kick-start this at the ENS Hackathon in August.
  • Continue reviewing and commenting on the Streamflow proposal

• Complete the new transcoder build-out that I started a few weeks ago to support
    • Automated monitoring and
    • Running Livepeer as a systemd service
  • Test the new transcoder, prior to migration
  • The planned migration will have no impact on existing delegates. The bonding process won’t change, either.

Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder Update - 6 December 2018

Welcome to this week’s Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. We stayed in active mode at #13 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 47995.09 LPT, of which 939.25 or 1.96% are self-bonded
  • LPT Stake as of last update on 9 November 2018 - 45052.91 LPT
  • % change - 6.5% increase

All LPT I earn gets is bonded back to our transcoder. My gratitude to everyone’s who’s delegated their LPT and trust to me to date!

• Called all rewards
  • Restarted the transcoder as necessary, when the reward round wasn’t called automatically
  • Continued the conversation with Raffi at Livepeer about how to -
    • Start the project to run a Transcoder as a DAO
    • Complete the ENS integration into Livepeer
  • Talked to Robbie Bent about testing the work they’re doing on notifications with transcoders and those that bond to us, as an opt-in feature, as well as running a Transcoder as a DAO

• Calling all rewards!
  • Continue the conversation with Raffi about -
    • Developing a use case to run a Transcoder as an Aragon DAO
    • Completing the Livepeer ENS integration. This will allow transcoders to have human readable names, replacing complicated ETH addresses. I helped kick-start this at the ENS Hackathon in August.
  • Continue reviewing and commenting on the Streamflow proposal
  • Provide input to the notification user flows Robbie Bent’s team is developing

• Complete the new transcoder build-out that I started a few weeks ago to support
  • The planned migration will have no impact on existing delegates. The bonding process won’t change, either.

Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder Update - 20 December 2018

Welcome to the Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. I write these updates toward the middle and end of each month. We stayed in active mode at #13 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Provide input to the notification user flows Robbie Bent’s team is developing

• Current LPT Stake - 50422.70 LPT, of which 1101.67 or 2.18% are self-bonded

• LPT Stake as of last update on 6 December 2018 - 47995.09 LPT

• % change - 5.06% increase

• Called all but one reward round. I missed round 1199. The round changed from 1199 to 1200 just as I was about to finish troubleshooting the issue. The issue is resolved. I immediately called round 1200.

• Submitted this Livepeer grant proposal to complete the Ethereum Name Service (ENS) Transcoder integration

My priorities over the next two weeks are to -

• Call all rewards!

• Kick-off the ENS Transcoder integration project

• Continue following and commenting on the Streamflow proposal

The planned migration will have no impact on existing delegates. The bonding process won’t change, either.

My gratitude to whomever bonded 7000 LPT to us on Christmas Day :pray: :christmas_tree:

Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder Update - 11 January 2019

Welcome to the Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. I write these updates toward the middle and end of each month.

We are currently in active mode at #13 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 61879 LPT, of which 1400 or 2.3% are self-bonded
  • LPT Stake as of last update on 20 December 2018 - 50423 LPT
  • % change - 23% increase
  • Missed one reward round

• Called all but one reward round. I missed round 1220.

As I shared in the Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder Telegram channel, I check rounds daily. That day I checked in the morning, then let more than 24 hours passed before checking again. As a result, I missed the round window. Again, I’m very sorry for this. It underscores the need for me to automate the work and setup monitoring, which I intend to do over the next few days.

The livepeer software has also been crashing, due to a bug I reported to the team a while ago. This means I often have to login manually to restart the process and call the round.

• Reviewed Livepeer’s response to this Livepeer grant proposal to complete the Ethereum Name Service (ENS) Transcoder integration I submitted

The planned migration will have no impact on existing delegates. The bonding process won’t change, either.

1 Like

Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder Update - 6 February 2019

Welcome to the Chainflow Livepeer Transcoder update. I write these updates toward the middle and end of each month.

We are currently in active mode at #13 in the top 20 transcoder list.

• Current LPT Stake - 67507 LPT, of which 1776 or 2.7% are self-bonded
  • LPT Stake as of last update on 11 January 2019 - 61879 LPT
  • % change - 9% increase
  • Called all reward rounds :tada:

• Called all reward rounds :tada:
  • Upgraded the Geth node I run to increase the transcoder’s reliability
  • Figured out why the transcoder software was crashing and fixed it
  • Got the transcoder running as a systemd service

The last two feel like a relief. They’ve been lingering on my to-do list for a while.

Running as a systemd service increased reliability. It also sets the stage for automated reporting and monitoring. Stay tuned for more on this :+1:

• Set-up automated monitoring, with alerts
  • Keep an eye on the Streamflow release progress

P.S. Want to join us? Please do by bonding your LPT here

It’s been a while since I posted here. The transcoder’s running well I’m working on the latest update.

Every reward round’s been claimed since the last update (1249-1287)!

Also, I started the un-bonding process for 600 of my earned LPT. I would like to sell 500 to cover the operational costs I’ve incurred over the past 6+ months.

The other 100 I’ll delegate to one of the newer transcoders I trust and who’s values align with mine. I see this as a gesture toward supporting decentralized staking.

Please let me know if you have any questions on or concerns with any of this. You can leave your questions in the comments here :point_down: or in the Chainflow LIvepeer Transcoder group.