Transcoder Pool Working Group

Transcoding Pool Working Group

-to be edited-

Goals

The goal of the Transcoding Pool Working Group is to drive development and adoption of public transcoding pools on top of the Livepeer network.

The working group will have an exclusive focus on open-source projects and its efforts will be community driven.

Development

The working group will drive development for specifications and reference implementations to create and run your own transcoding pool. Some of these projects include:

• go-livepool: the modified go-livepeer node software
  • pool-service: REST API specification and reference serverless implementation in go
  • dashboard: reference dashboard implementation to surface pool data
  • infrastructure: automated deployment using kubernetes and helm charts
  • monitoring: automated setup for monitoring and grafana dashboards, repository for community created dashboards
  • research projects to optimise pool performance

Adoption

The working group will seek to drive adoption of pool software among operators on the Livepeer network and grow the user base and awareness of public transcoding pools as a whole.

It will provide the necessary documentation for the software, drive awareness through blog posts and host community events and regular working group calls.

Group Meetings

Working group calls will take place on a to be decided frequency and time.

Members

4 Likes

I’m in for the working group… :+1:

Nice, count me in :+1:t3::slightly_smiling_face::person_cartwheeling::tada::beer:

I’m in! :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face:

I’m in :wink: :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Hi! I will be delighted to join the Working Group. :wink:

Yes ser, on behalf of Multiverse Inc, we will be contributing. We can run the k8s infrastructure and assist with architecture and security.

1 Like

Hey Troy here from Multiverse.

I posted this is the Discord but might as well add here just for posterity.

Thanks @NicoV looking forward to dive in deep on this.

Just a little heads up about what we are building at Multiverse. We are putting the finishing touches on our streaming app Wormhole. It utilizes the Live.peer protocol for transcoding (you can find out Orchestrator here: Livepeer Explorer ). We are aiming for an early March launch. One of the things we want to do is open up a transcoding pool that works with our app to our community members.

Bit more background on us, we are born out of the Universe NFT protocol (https://www.universe.xyz/) and are tying different WEB3 protocols together under the Multiverse INC umbrella. We have bigger plans for the Wormhole application that work with our minting contracts at Universe. You can join our Discord here if you would like.

Looking forward to what we can do with all this together and will be providing resources to this initiative.

Best,
Troy

Discord channel for Multiverse on Universe: Universe.XYZ

Multiverse Website

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm ! I think we have enough people to get started.

For our first call we’ll go through the goals for the working group, have everyone introduce themselves and how they think they can best contribute and how we can best organise.

Date and time TBD.

1 Like

Hey everyone. I’m wondering if this group is a good place to get my hands dirty? I am new to this space and really love everything that Troy has been a part of. I have followed him here to continue my education. I am not very techy, but can commit to full time participation just for the opportunity to learn. I also have a computer that I am ready to transcode with. I’m not sure what I can contribute to the group just yet, but I’m here as free labor or just to listen and learn along with you guys.

1 Like

Heya folks - Just throwing this out there in case it supports your pool endeavors: GitHub - payton/django-siwe-auth: A complete Django authentication system overhall for Web3 utilizing Sign-In with Ethereum.

django-siwe-auth is a Django app that overrides the authentication system so you can now authenticate via wallets & authorize via on-chain attributes. I pulled this out of my pool project to open source. As you can imagine, you’ll be able to personalize content towards different types of users based on their address (broadcasters). You can also use this as a means of registration for payments.

If you do intend to implement some sort of server-side storage / personalization, I’d highly recommend using EIP-4361 (SIWE) Spruce Systems, Inc. · GitHub

There are several implementations (including python used by my project GitHub - spruceid/siwe-py: A Python implementation of Sign-In with Ethereum)

1 Like

count me in! (ftkuhnsman)

If spots ever open up for this, count me in as well :slight_smile:

Hey @Flamel,

We are still working on getting this set up. Soon you will be able to add your GPU to our transcoding pool though. We are putting the finishing touches on the Xeenon app.

Awesome! Looking forward to it!

Hey @NicoV we have some more BE and DevOps people coming on for Graviton (formerly Multiverse) and one of the things we are going to prioritize is this development. Let me know when you want to start setting this stuff up. We can also work internally and just provide help to the Github for what we will OS.

So I am late to the party, but have run quite a few POW mining pools in my day and when I hopped on board here with my O, I really wanted to start a pool as an alternative to the only option out there at the time. I’ve taken a bit of time off, mainly because I use a Filecoin machine to run my O and Filecoin was killing me. Plus, I never got any Livepeer work. Anyway, I’ve migrated to L2 and relaunching, but still have a tremendous interest in developing my own pool or finding a few people to go in with, as well as the development of the pool system for Livepeer in general. I mean, I ram Venus Filecoin which is essentially their effort to pool for smaller miners so they can complete with the huge professional companies.

Anyway, drop me a line or whatever. Would love to both be involved and get something going. I noticed the man about town, Titan had launched a pool, so kudos there. But pretty sure there is still some room, especially as the ecosystem grows.

Thanks!

-Robert